Welcome to

Our Lady of Mercy


Our Lady of Mercy Primary School
55 Hudson Avenue
Girrawheen WA 6064
08 9207 7677

Quick Links

Website Design & Maintenance
by Chameleon Logic

Our Factions

In 1999 the four faction colours were given names in honour of people who were significant in the formation of the school’s ethos and history.

Gold was named Ferrie after Sister Agnes who was Principal of the school for 18 years.

In 1980, Sr. M. Agnes Ferrie, R.S.M., who had been Principal of St Lawrence Primary School, Balcatta, became the newly appointed Principal of Girrawheen Catholic Primary.

Red was named after Catherine McAuley who first established the Mercy Order.

The Venerable Mother Catherine Elizabeth McAuley (born on September 29, 1778, at Stormanstown House, in Dublin, Ireland – died November 11, 1841, at the House of Mercy she had built on Baggot Street, Dublin) was an Irish nun, who founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1831. The Order has always been associated with teaching, especially in Ireland, where the nuns taught Catholics (and at times Protestants) at a time when education was mainly reserved for members of the established Church of Ireland.

Catherine McAuley's father was prosperous, when she inherited a considerable fortune at the age of 48; she chose to use it to build a house where she and other compassionate women could take in homeless women and children to provide care and an education for them.

She never intended to found a community of religious women. The church (clergy and people) of the time, however, were not supportive of groups of lay women working independently of church structures. Catherine's clerical mentor urged her to form a religious Institute. Catherine and two other women entered the formation program of the Presentation Sisters to formally prepare for life as women religious. At the end of one year they professed vows and returned to the House of Mercy. The Sisters of Mercy consider December 12, 1831, the day of their founding as a religious community.

Green was named Gaine after Father Tom Gaine our Parish Priest at the time

Fr Gaine was born on November 23 1929 at Kenmare, Ireland. He was ordained a Priest of the Archdiocese of Perth on June 2 1957 at St Kieran’s Seminary Chapel, Kilkenny. From November 1957 - March 1967, he was an assistant priest at Northam, Kalgoorlie and Claremont, including chaplaincy at the Mental Hospital, Graylands Migrant Hostel and Karrakatta Cemetery.

From March 1967 - August 1979, he served as Administrator of Highgate Parish, Assistant Priest at East Victoria Park, Priest-in-Charge of Quairading, Parish Priest of Pinjarra and acting Port Chaplain at Fremantle and the Stella Maris Seafarers’ Centre.

In August 1979, Fr Gaine was appointed founding Parish Priest of Girrawheen and was responsible for forming the new Parish Community and directed the building of Our Lady of Mercy Church. Fr Gaine retired from the Parish in 2002 to County Kerry, Ireland.

Blue was named Mercy in recognition of the Order of Nuns who worked so hard in the establishment of so many schools, including Our Lady of Mercy Primary.

Religious Order of the Sisters of Mercy (RSM) is an order of Catholic women founded by Catherine McAuley in Dublin, Ireland in 1831. As of 2003, the order has about 10,000 members worldwide, organized into a number of independent congregations Sisters take vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience, the evangelical counsels commonly vowed in religious life, and, in addition, vows of service. They continue to participate in the life of the surrounding community.

In keeping with their mission of serving the poor and needy, many sisters engage in teaching, medical care, and community programs. The organization is active in lobbying and politics as well. Sisters of Mercy are an international community of Roman Catholic women religious vowed to serve people who suffer from poverty, sickness and lack of education with a special concern for women and children.